Tikkun Olam means to repair the world through social action. Though we can never make the world completely whole, we are involved in many kinds of social action. Our programs benefit food pantries and homeless and lonely residents of Wausau. Mt. Sinai is also part of a coalition of Wausau congregations engaged in congregationally based community organizing. We invite our members to join in any of these acts of Tikkun Olam. By reaching out to people in need, we not only help to repair the world, but also strengthen our Jewish identity and provide an important example of our values for our children.
High Holiday Food Pantry Campaign
- Members are invited to bring a bag of non-perishable food with then to High Holiday services. The food will be donated to area pantries.
Sunday Community Suppers
- We are part of a coalition of dozens of area congregations who hold a Sunday evening dinner at First Presbyterian Church, 506 Grant St, Wausau, which open to all, free of charge. The next dinner that we are hosting is scheduled for December 23, 2012. Volunteers are needed to shop, cook, set tables, greet. serve dinner, and clean up. To volunteer please contact Linda Glazner
- NAOMI is a Marathon county congregational coalition that has come together to do community based organizing. NAOMI is currently working on public policy issues in transit, dental access, family health, and Treatment instead of Prison. NAOMI has had a number of successes, including restoring a Weston bus line through a referendum and addressing addiction and mental health issues through treatment rather than prison. To become involved in Mt. Sinai’s NAOMI team please contact Linda Glazner
- NAOMI is an affiliate of WISDOM in Wisconsin http://wisdomwi.org/ and Gamaliel nationally http://www.gamaliel.org/.
- Mt. Sinai is a participant in the URJ’s Just Congregations program.